Flan, also known as caramel custard, is a timeless dessert beloved for its silky-smooth texture and rich caramel flavor. This elegant treat is surprisingly easy to make and will impress your guests at any gathering. In this recipe, we’ll guide you through creating the perfect flan.
Tips for Perfect Flan:
- Be cautious when making the caramel as it can become extremely hot. Use a heat-resistant spatula and oven mitts.
- Make sure your flan mold or dish is completely dry before pouring in the caramel to prevent the sugar from seizing.
- Straining the flan mixture removes any egg bits and ensures a smooth, creamy texture.
- A water bath is essential for even cooking and preventing the flan from cracking.
- Allow the flan to chill thoroughly before serving for the best texture and flavor.
How To Make Flan
Classic Flan Recipe: Creamy Caramel Custard Delight
For the Caramel
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
For the Flan
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces/400g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can(12 ounces/355ml) evaporated milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Prepare the Caramel:In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the granulated sugar and water. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring gently until the sugar dissolves.Once the sugar has dissolved, increase the heat to medium-high and stop stirring. Allow the mixture to boil until it turns a deep amber color. This should take about 5-7 minutes.Immediately pour the caramel into the bottom of a 9-inch (23cm) round flan mold or ovenproof dish. Tilt the mold to ensure the caramel coats the bottom evenly. Let it cool and harden.
- Preheat the Oven:Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Prepare the Flan Mixture:In a blender, combine the eggs, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth.
- Strain the Mixture:Strain the flan mixture through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth to ensure a smooth texture.
- Pour the Mixture:Carefully pour the flan mixture over the cooled caramel in the mold.
- Bake in a Water Bath:Place the flan mold in a larger roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with hot water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the flan mold. This creates a water bath, ensuring gentle and even cooking.Cover the entire setup with aluminum foil.
- Bake:Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 50-60 minutes or until the flan is set. To check for doneness, insert a knife or toothpick into the center; it should come out clean when done.
- Cool and Chill:Remove the flan from the water bath and let it cool to room temperature. Then, refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight to allow the flavors to meld.
- Unmold and Serve:To unmold, run a knife around the edge of the mold to loosen the flan. Place a serving platter on top and invert the mold. The caramel sauce will flow over the top, creating a beautiful glaze.
Classic flan is a dessert that transcends generations and cultures. Its simple yet luxurious flavors make it a beloved treat around the world. Whether you’re hosting a special occasion or simply craving a delightful dessert, this homemade flan recipe is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Enjoy the creamy, caramel goodness!