Lemon curd is a delightful, tangy spread that can be used in various ways, from topping your morning toast to filling pies and cakes. Making your own lemon curd at home is simple and allows you to enjoy its fresh, zesty flavor without any additives or preservatives. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make homemade lemon curd from scratch.
Tips to Make Perfect Homemade Lemon Curd:
- Use fresh, ripe lemons for the best flavor.
- Zest the lemons before juicing to make the process easier.
- Keep whisking continuously to prevent the eggs from curdling.
- If you like your lemon curd sweeter, you can add an extra tablespoon or two of sugar.
- Store your lemon curd in an airtight container in the refrigerator; it will keep for about two weeks.
How To Make Lemon Curd
Homemade Lemon Curd Recipe
- 4 large lemons (for zest and juice)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- Zest and juice the lemons, ensuring you have about 2 tablespoons of zest and 1 cup of juice. Use a fine grater for the zest.
- Fill a saucepan with a couple of inches of water and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Place a heatproof bowl (preferably stainless steel or glass) on top of the saucepan. Ensure the bowl doesn't touch the water.
- In the heatproof bowl, whisk together the eggs and granulated sugar until well combined.
- Add the lemon juice and zest to the egg-sugar mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Place the bowl over the simmering water, making sure the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl. Continue to whisk the mixture constantly.
- Gradually add the cubed butter to the lemon mixture, whisking until the butter is completely melted and the mixture thickens. This should take about 10-15 minutes. It's ready when it coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove the lemon curd from the heat and strain it through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any bits of zest or cooked egg. Transfer the strained lemon curd to a clean, airtight container.
- Allow the lemon curd to cool at room temperature for a bit, then cover it and refrigerate until it's cold and set, which takes about 2 hours.
Homemade lemon curd is a delightful addition to your culinary repertoire. Spread it on scones, drizzle it over desserts, or use it as a flavorful filling for pies and tarts. Enjoy the zesty goodness!