Mayonnaise is a versatile condiment that can elevate the flavor of many dishes, from sandwiches to salads and beyond. Making your own mayonnaise at home allows you to control the ingredients and flavors, resulting in a creamy and delicious condiment. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make homemade mayonnaise from scratch. It’s surprisingly simple and requires just a few basic ingredients.
Tips to Make Perfect Homemade Mayonnaise:
- Use fresh eggs at room temperature.
- Choose a neutral-flavored oil to avoid overpowering the taste.
- Drizzle the oil slowly for proper emulsification.
- Adjust the seasoning to your preference; you can add more salt or a pinch of cayenne pepper for a spicy kick.
- Store in the refrigerator to prolong freshness.
How To Make Homemade Mayonnaise
Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 cup neutral-flavored oil (such as canola or vegetable oil)
- Lemon juice (optional, for extra flavor)
- Gather all your ingredients and ensure the egg is at room temperature. Having ingredients at the same temperature helps with emulsification.
- In a food processor or blender, add the egg, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, salt, and sugar. Blend on low speed for about 20 seconds until well combined.
- With the food processor or blender running on low speed, begin to slowly drizzle the oil into the mixture. Start with just a few drops at a time and gradually increase to a thin, steady stream. This slow addition of oil is crucial for proper emulsification.
- Continue blending for about 1-2 minutes after all the oil has been added. The mixture will thicken and become creamy, resembling store-bought mayonnaise.
- Taste the mayonnaise and adjust the seasoning if needed. You can add a squeeze of lemon juice for extra flavor if desired.
- Transfer the homemade mayonnaise to a clean, airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Homemade mayonnaise adds a creamy and rich flavor to your favorite dishes, and making it from scratch is not only easy but also allows you to customize it to your taste. Enjoy your homemade mayonnaise on sandwiches, in dressings, or as a dipping sauce for fries!