Egg Drop Noodle Soup is the perfect blend of simplicity and flavor. This soul-warming dish combines silky egg ribbons, delicate noodles, and a savory broth, making it an ideal comfort food. Let’s dive into creating this comforting classic.
Tips for Perfect Egg Drop Noodle Soup:
- Use a good-quality chicken or vegetable broth to create a flavorful base for your soup.
- Adjust the seasoning with soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, and white pepper to suit your taste.
- For extra texture and nutrition, consider adding vegetables like bok choy, spinach, or mushrooms to the soup.
- Be gentle when pouring the egg ribbons into the hot broth to create those beautiful, wispy strands.
- Customize your garnishes with ingredients like bean sprouts, chopped peanuts, or a drizzle of chili oil for added depth of flavor.
How To Make Egg Drop Noodle Soup
Homemade Egg Drop Noodle Soup: Comfort in a Bowl
- 6 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced1
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 4 cup cooked noodles (such as egg noodles or udon)
For the Egg Ribbons
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp water
- Salt to taste
- Sliced green onions
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Lime wedges
- Prepare the Broth:In a large pot, combine the chicken or vegetable broth and water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.Add the minced garlic, ginger slices, soy sauce, and sesame oil to the pot.Let the broth simmer for about 15-20 minutes to infuse the flavors. Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Cook the Noodles:While the broth is simmering, cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Create the Egg Ribbons:In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, 1 tablespoon of water, and a pinch of salt.Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat and lightly grease it.Pour a thin layer of the egg mixture into the skillet, swirling to create a thin pancake. Cook for about 1-2 minutes until set, then flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.Remove the egg pancake and let it cool slightly. Once cooled, roll it up and slice it into thin ribbons.
- Assemble the Soup:Ladle the hot broth over the cooked noodles in serving bowls.Slowly pour the egg ribbons into the hot broth while gently stirring. The eggs will cook instantly and form delicate ribbons.Garnish the soup with sliced green onions, fresh cilantro leaves, and a pinch of red pepper flakes (if desired).Serve with lime wedges for an extra burst of flavor.