Eggplant Parmesan, or Melanzane alla Parmigiana in Italian, is a classic Italian dish that beautifully combines the rich flavors of eggplant, tomato sauce, and melted cheese. This vegetarian delight is a crowd-pleaser and a perfect choice for a comforting and hearty dinner. In this recipe blog, we’ll guide you through the steps to create a mouthwatering Eggplant Parmesan right in your own kitchen.
Tips to Make Perfect Eggplant Parmesan:
- Select firm and fresh eggplants with smooth, unblemished skin.
- Salting the eggplant slices helps remove excess moisture and improves the texture.
- Use a good-quality tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes for a flavorful base.
- Feel free to add fresh herbs like basil or parsley for extra flavor.
- Be patient while frying the eggplant; a golden brown crust is essential for texture and taste.
- Allow the dish to rest for a few minutes after baking to make it easier to slice and serve.
How To Make Eggplant Parmesan
Homemade Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
For the Eggplant
- 2 large eggplants, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil for frying
For the Tomato Sauce
- 2 can (14 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the Eggplant:Sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt and let them sit for about 30 minutes. This helps remove excess moisture and bitterness.After 30 minutes, rinse the eggplant slices and pat them dry with paper towels.In a shallow bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.Dip each eggplant slice into the beaten eggs, allowing any excess to drip off, and then coat it with the breadcrumb mixture.Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the eggplant slices until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Place them on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Prepare the Tomato Sauce:In a saucepan, heat a bit of oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and chopped onion, sauté until softened.Pour in the crushed tomatoes, dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Assemble the Eggplant Parmesan:Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).In a baking dish, spread a thin layer of tomato sauce.Arrange a layer of fried eggplant slices over the sauce.Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese.Repeat the layers until you use up all the ingredients, finishing with a layer of cheese on top.
- Bake:Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 25-30 minutes.Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Serve:Allow the Eggplant Parmesan to cool slightly before serving.Garnish with fresh basil leaves if desired.
Enjoy your homemade Eggplant Parmesan with a side of pasta or a fresh salad for a delightful Italian-inspired dinner!