Aioli, a Mediterranean-inspired garlic-infused mayonnaise, is a versatile and flavorful condiment that can elevate a wide range of dishes. This creamy, garlicky sauce is the perfect accompaniment for everything from crispy french fries to grilled seafood and vegetables. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make this delectable aioli sauce from scratch, adding a gourmet touch to your culinary creations.
Tips for Perfect Aioli:
- Use room temperature egg yolk to help with the emulsification process.
- Drizzle the olive oil slowly to create a stable emulsion.
- If the aioli breaks (separates), start with a fresh egg yolk and slowly whisk in the broken mixture.
How To Make Aioli Sauce
Creamy Homemade Aioli Sauce Recipe
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Start by finely mincing the garlic cloves. You can use a garlic press or chop them finely with a knife.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic with salt. Using the flat side of your knife, press down on the garlic and salt mixture to create a paste. This releases the garlic's oils and enhances its flavor.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and Dijon mustard until well combined.
- Gradually add the olive oil in a thin, steady stream to the egg yolk mixture while whisking vigorously. This is a crucial step. Slowly incorporating the oil helps create a stable emulsion.
- Continue whisking as you add the oil until the mixture thickens and becomes creamy. You should notice a change in texture as it emulsifies.
- Stir in the garlic paste and fresh lemon juice. This adds the signature flavors of aioli.
- If you desire a bit of heat, add a pinch of cayenne pepper. Season with freshly ground black pepper to taste. Adjust the salt if necessary.
- For the best flavor, refrigerate the aioli for at least 30 minutes before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together.
- Aioli is incredibly versatile. Use it as a dipping sauce for crispy fries, a drizzle for grilled vegetables, or a condiment for sandwiches and burgers. Get creative with your culinary creations!
Homemade aioli sauce is a culinary delight that adds a burst of flavor to your favorite dishes. Whether you’re dipping, drizzling, or spreading, this creamy condiment is sure to impress your taste buds and elevate your meals. Enjoy the rich, garlicky goodness of aioli made with love from your kitchen!