Discover the delightful flavors of Green Shakshuka, a healthy and delicious twist on the classic Middle Eastern dish. Made with vibrant greens, fragrant herbs, and perfectly cooked eggs, this recipe is perfect for a nourishing breakfast, brunch, or even a light dinner. In this post, we will guide you through the process of making Green Shakshuka, provide detailed nutrition information, and offer suggestions for customizing the recipe to your preferences.
Customizing Your Green Shakshuka:
- Mix and match your greens: Feel free to use a combination of your favorite leafy greens, such as spinach, kale, or Swiss chard.
- Go dairy-free: Omit the feta cheese or substitute it with a dairy-free alternative to make the dish suitable for those with dairy sensitivities.
- Add some heat: Spice up your Green Shakshuka with a pinch of red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce.
- Include additional protein: Add crumbled tofu or cooked, diced chicken for extra protein and a more filling meal.
- Serve Green Shakshuka with warm pita bread, crusty bread, or whole-grain toast for a hearty and satisfying meal.
- Pair the dish with a side of fresh fruit, such as sliced oranges or berries, for a well-rounded and nutritious breakfast.
- Accompany your Green Shakshuka with a simple mixed greens salad drizzled with lemon vinaigrette for a light and healthy lunch or dinner.
How To Make Green Shakshuka
Green Shakshuka – A Healthy Twist on a Middle Eastern Classic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cup chopped kale or spinach
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in kale or spinach, parsley or cilantro, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook until greens are wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Create four wells in the greens mixture and crack an egg into each well.
- Cover the skillet and cook until egg whites are set and yolks are still slightly runny, about 4-6 minutes
- Sprinkle feta cheese and fresh dill over the top and serve immediately.